The College of Engineering of the University of the Philippines Diliman is holding its Professorial Chair Colloquium on July 11 and 12, 2013. These will be held mainly at the Melchor Hall, which has been the home of the College since it transferred to Quezon City after the Second World War. The colloquium is an annual event where Professorial Chair holders deliver lectures on selected topics of research being undertaken in the various institutes and departments of the college.
On July 11, 2013 (Thursday) at the Geodetic Engineering Theater, 4th Floor, Melchor Hall, U.P. Diliman:
- Dr. Hilario Sean O. Palmiano, Institute of Civil Engineering, “Traffic Noise Perception in UP Campus Dormitories” [DMCI Developers Professorial Chair] – 0950 to 1010.
- Dr. Nathaniel B. Diola, Institute of Civil Engineering, “Blended Cement for Road Construction” [Prof. Jose Ma. Diago de Castro Professorial Chair in Civil Engineering] – 1010 to 1030.
- Dr. Ricardo G. Sigua, Institute of Civil Engineering, “Blackspots and Their Identification” [Primary Group of Builders Professorial Chair Award in Engineering] – 1050 to 1110.
On July 12, 2013 (Friday) at the Maynilad Room, 3rd Floor, Melchor Hall, U.P. Diliman:
- Dr. Jose Regin F. Regidor, Institute of Civil Engineering, “Transport Infrastructure, Poverty and Inclusive Growth” [Pozzolanic Philippines Inc. Professorial Chair] – 0910 to 0930.
- Asst. Prof. Gerald Jo C. Denoga, Department of Mechanical Engineering, “Optimization of Parallel-Series Hybrid Powertrain for Public Transportation” [Emerson Professorial Chair in Engineering] – 0930 to 0950.
- Dr. Karl B.N. Vergel, Institute of Civil Engineering, “Evaluation of Compliance of Specifications of Customized Local Road Vehicles (CLRV) with Local Regulations and International Standards” [Maynilad Professorial Chair] – 0950 to 1010.
- Dr. Edwin N. Quiros, Department of Mechanical Engineering, ” Coconut Methyl Esther (CME) Performance and Emission Characteristics Using a Common-Rail Direct Injection (CRDI) Engine” [Emerson Professorial Chair in Mechanical Engineering] – 1010 to 1030.
Dr. Palmiano is the current Director of the National Center for Transportation Studies (NCTS). Dr. Diola is the immediate past Director of the Building Research Service (BRS). Dr. Sigua is the head of the Road Safety Research Laboratory (RSRL) of the NCTS. Dr. Regidor is past Director of the NCTS. And Dr. Vergel is the head of the Transport & Environment Laboratory of the NCTS.
Asst. Prof. Denoga is the past Chair of the Dept. of Mechanical Engineering (DME) and has led teams in the design of vehicles that participated and won in international competitions on energy efficient vehicles, representing the country and the university in these contests. Dr. Quiroz is the head of the DME’s Vehicle Research and Testing Laboratory (VRTL).
These lectures as well as others on the mornings of July 11 and 12 are open to the public. Venues are at the Melchor Hall (along the Academic Oval), and the UPAE Hall and the EEEI Building at the College of Engineering Complex along Velasquez Street (across from the College of Science complex).